- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons gelatine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- red, yellow, green and blue food colouring
1. Grease a 3cm-deep, 16.5cm x 26cm (base) slab pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends. Combine sugar and 2/3 cup hot water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear.
2. Using a fork, combine gelatine and 2/3 cup cold water in a jug. Pour into hot syrup. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until gelatine has dissolved and mixture is clear. Pour into bowl of an electric mixer. Set aside to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
3. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and gelatine mixture on high for 6 to 10 minutes or until very thick. Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Spread into prepared pan. Smooth top. Set aside, at room temperature, for 1 hour or until set. Lift onto a board. Using a wet knife, cut marshmallow into 24 squares.
4. Place 1/2 cup coconut in each snap-lock bag. Add 8 to 10 drops food colouring. Seal and rub colour into coconut. Place 1 marshmallow at a time in each bag and gently toss in coconut to coat. Remove to a wire rack. Set marshmallows aside until surfaces feel dry (about 1 hour). Serve.
6. You can store marshmallows in an airtight container for up to 1 week.