Why does Vegemite and cheese taste so good together? I don't know why, but it does, and my kids love it. We spend $3 a pop at the bakery buying cheesymite scrolls so i thought id give it a go myself.
This recipe was very easy and i had everything i needed in my pantry. Yay for me!
- 2 cups SR flour
- 30g butter, chilled and chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Extra milk to glaze
- Preheat oven to 220c and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour in a bowl and using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Mine looked nothing like breadcrumbs!)
- Make a well in the centre and add milk.
- Using a butter knife 'cut' through the mixture until it forms a soft dough (add more milk if necessary)
- Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth (don't over knead)
- Roll out until you have approximately 30cm x 20 cm rectangle
- Spread over desired amount of Vegemite and sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll up firmly and transfer to baking tray, seam side down.
- Using scissors, cut into top of dough at 3cm intervals without cutting all the way through.
- Pull slice to the left and right and brush with milk
- Bake for 20-25 mins and serve. Best served warm!!